#071 Merits or Demerits of Standardization for Mold Design and Fabrication
In the world of design and fabrication of molds for plastic injection molding, it can be said that standardization spread relatively faster than other fields of machine design and fabrication.
Misumi has had a role to play in this matter , and we would like to discuss here again the merits and demerits of standardization of design and fabrication by making quantitative comparisons.
Merits of Mold Design and Fabrication
1. The design time can be made short
Because of this, the design delivery time becomes short, and even the design cost gets reduced.
2. It is possible to shorten the machining time, the finishing and adjustment times
Because of this, the component preparation time gets shortened, and even the production cost gets reduced.
3. It is not necessary to increase the number of machines and equipment
Since it is possible to depend on purchasing, it is not necessary to increase the number of machines and equipment within the company. Therefore, the fixed expenses (cost of depreciation) need not be increased.
4. The interchangeability during maintenance gets enhanced
By using standard components, since it is possible to unify the specifications of replacement parts, the interchangeability becomes excellent.
5. Maintenance becomes easy in the case of exports to overseas destinations
At the time of maintaining molds exported to overseas destinations, if the same standard component can be procured locally, it becomes possible to carry out maintenance speedily.
6. The cost of order management can be reduced.
The additional work load of ordering and associated accounting is eliminated, and as a result it is possible to reduce the cost.
Demerits of Mold Design and Fabrication
1. It is likely that it becomes difficult to pass on the basic knowledge or mold design to the freshly recruited designers.
2. The basic component production technology within the company may be lost.
In order to counterbalance the demerits of standardization, there are some companies that carry out design seminars within the company or internal production within the company of parts for repairs.
Considering the advantages and disadvantages and the losses and gains, it can be said that further progress in the standardization of design and fabrication of molds is definitely advantageous.